The world health community continues to closely monitor the emergence and spread of COVID-19, commonly known as the Coronavirus. Given the current uncertainty, and the fact that the seasonal influenza (flu) virus is also widespread, the Housing Authority of the City of Charleston (CHA) is taking proactive steps to help keep our residents and tenants informed and safe.
The best preventive measures against COVID-19 are the same as those for the flu or other viruses:
  • Stay home if you are sick, regardless of whether your symptoms match COVID-19.
  • Wash your hands regularly and for 20 seconds. An alternative is to use hand sanitizer.
  • Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing, then throw the tissue away.
  • Avoid close contact with sick people.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
Anyone experiencing symptoms can visit and use the promo code ‘COVID19’ and be screened without having to leave your home. Remember, check in with family and friends who live alone—especially those with chronic diseases. If you live alone, ask your friends and family to check in with you if you become sick.
If you choose to self-quarantine please post the following sign on your door: Quarantine PSA and contact your CHA Management office by phone to inform of your decision.

What is self-quarantine?
Self-quarantine means you may or may not be sick but you choose to separate and restrict your movement to decrease likeliness of spread or monitor to see if symptoms develop.

Who should self-quarantine?
People who have either been exposed to the virus or those with a low or compromised immune system who do not want to risk exposure.

Should you have any questions or concerns, please contact your property management office or the CHA main office by phone.


Are CHA offices open?
The CHA Main Office and all Management Offices are not be open to normal traffic. All residents or visitors must make an appointment.

I am a participant of the Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) program and wish to speak with an HCV Specialist, what should I do?
HCV participants should contact the HCV office by email at and include the following information:

Head of Household Name, Email Address, and Phone Number
Address of the Residence
Reason for Contact or Appointment Request

Our HCV staff will process and respond accordingly. We appreciate your patience.

I am a resident of Public Housing and wish to speak with the Management Office, what should I do?
Public Housing residents should contact the appropriate Management Office by email (listed below), and include the following information:

Head of Household Name, Email Address, and Phone Number
Address of the Residence
Reason for Contact or Appointment Request


Eastside Property Management:
Central Property Management:
Westside Property Management:

CHA Management Offices will process and respond accordingly.

I need to establish electricity/gas services or provide verification of utilities with Dominion Energy but their office is closed, what do I do?
Please contact Dominion Energy by phone at (800) 251-7234 or visit their website at Please submit any verification of utilities to the HCV office by email.

I have an inspection scheduled for my unit, is it still taking place?
Only inspections of new units will take place until further notice.

I have a maintenance issue in my apartment, are Work Orders still being completed?
Yes. The Housing Authority Maintenance Staff is responding to all work order requests.

However, we kindly ask that any resident experiencing symptoms, such as fever, cough, and/or shortness of breath, advise the Management Office or Work Order Staff, as management and maintenance have been directed not to enter the unit, except for extreme emergencies.

I was scheduled to have an Informal or Grievance Hearing, is it still taking place?
Yes. Informal and grievance hearings have been resumed.

Are Community Centers open?
No. We are still asking residents to refrain from the use of any community centers out of an abundance of caution.